The Fresno County Fire Protection District was established in 1949 after a series of large devastating fires. Residents formed what was then called the Mid Valley Fire Protection District. The first fire station was constructed at the current Fresno County Fairgrounds at Cedar and Butler Avenues. The Fire District staffed and responded from this single station serving the entire District. In 1950, under the leadership of William Pennington, State Forest Ranger IV, the Mid-Valley Fire Protection District joined what was then the California Division of Forestry and the Unit Headquarters was moved from the Fresno County Fair Grounds to the newly completed facility at Highway 180 and Academy Avenue in Sanger. In 1978, the Fig Garden Fire Protection District contracted with the Department of Forestry for fire protection services, and in the early 1980’s the Friant and Table Mountain Volunteers were added. The cooperative agreements between these entities were consolidated in the early 1990’s under the name Fresno County Fire Protection District.
Today, five (5) Special Districts provide fire protection to the unincorporated areas of Fresno County. The Fresno County Fire Protection District (FCFPD) is the largest of these five (5) Districts covering 2,655 square miles, or over 50% of the County which includes the Cities of Parlier, Mendota, Huron, San Joaquin and the rural communities of Tranquillity, Del Rey, Caruthers, Easton, Malaga, Friant, Cantua Creek, Calwa, Prather, Sand Creek and Wonder Valley.
The Fresno County Fire Protection District, in cooperation with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE), provides all risk emergency services from 14 District Staffed Fire Stations and 4 District Paid Call Firefighter Stations. The District operates its fire engine companies with a minimum of 2 – 3 career Firefighters on duty every day, totaling 48 Firefighters on duty daily providing fire suppression, emergency medical service, rescue, and fire prevention and education to approximately 220,000 people and covering approximately 2,655 square miles.